Discover the fried appetizer that is popular throughout Italy during the summer. When zucchini flowers (sometimes called Zucchini Blossoms or Courgette Flowers) are in season, they are all the rage in Italy. This Fried Zucchini Flowers recipe will turn you into a fan too! If you love fried food, you’ll love this insanely delicious snack.
Watch the Video Recipe!
Watch the video recipe for Italian Fried Zucchini Flowers!
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
More video recipes? Subscribe to our YouTube Channel (it’s FREE) and click the bell to get notifications when we release a new video recipe!
How to Make Fried Zucchini Flowers
This Fried Zucchini Flowers recipe is extremely easy to make! The most difficult part of the whole recipe is finding the zucchini blossoms, which aren’t typically sold in some countries. In Italy, zucchini flowers are prized as a delicacy and are even sold in the grocery. If you can’t find zucchini flowers in the grocery where you live, ask a farmer to save some for you!
Here are the ingredients:
- zucchini flowers (zucchini blossoms)
- flour (all-purpose or cake)
- carbonated water
- oil for frying (peanut, safflower, sunflower)
- fine salt
Prepare the Zucchini Blossoms
There are a few things you’ll want to do to prepare the zucchini flowers. Give the blossoms a quick (gentle) rinse if you like. Then, remove the tough outer leaves.
Most Italians also remove the stamen or pistil of the zucchini flowers. They are perfectly edible, but they can be a bit bitter. Zucchini flowers are delicate. To avoid tearing them while removing the stamen or pistil, set the zucchini flower vertically. Open up the flower gently from the top, then use two fingers to pull it out.
Or use a pair of kitchen scissors to do the job!
Prepare the Batter
To make the batter for the zucchini flowers, combine flour (all-purpose or cake flour) with cold carbonated water. Mix water into the batter until you have a thin batter similar to a crêpe batter.
Add a few ice cubes to the finished batter to keep it cold.
Fry the Battered Zucchini Flowers
In the meantime, get the frying oil ready. Use peanut or another oil with a high smoke point. Heat the oil to 340° F (170° C). A deep fryer is ideal for this job! However, you can also use a skillet as we are showing here (and in the video recipe).
Dip the zucchini blossoms gently in the batter shake them off. Add them to the hot oil in batches.
Don’t add too many zucchini flowers at once. Use a fork to separate the zucchini flowers in the beginning if they try to cling to one another.
Fry the zucchini flowers until the bottom is crispy when you tap it with a fork. Then flip the flowers and finish frying them.
When the zucchini flowers are crispy on both sides, transfer them to an absorbent towel. Salt to taste and serve. Buon appetito!
Discover More Fresh Pasta Recipes!
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no extra cost to you, PIATTO may earn a small commission if you click the links and make a qualifying purchase.
Italian Fried Zucchini Flowers Recipe
- 1 deep fryer or skillet suitable for frying
- 1 mixing bowl
- 20 whole zucchini flowers leaves, stamen and pistil removed
- 2 cups flour all purpose or cake
- 1 ½ cups carbonated water
- 2 pinches fine salt or to taste
- frying oil peanut, safflower, sunflower…
Prepare the Zucchini Flowers
- Delicately wash the outside of the zucchini blossoms and pat them dry with a paper towel.20 whole zucchini flowers
- Remove the outer leaves from the flowers.
- Delicately pull back the petals of each flower and remove the stamen and pistils from inside. Set the blossoms aside.
Prepare the Batter
- Add the flour and a pinch of salt (optional) to a medium bowl. Then, add cold carbonated water to the flour a little at a time, whisking vigorously.2 cups flour, 1 ½ cups carbonated water
- The final batter will have a crêpe-batter consistency. Add two ice cubes to the batter to maintain a cold temperature.
Heat the Frying Oil
- Add a generous amount of oil to a skillet or deep fryer. Heat the oil to 340° F (170° C).frying oil
Fry the Zucchini Flower in Batches
- Bring blossoms and batter near the hot oil. Dip each blossom in the batter, covering it completely. Give it a shake, and lay it in the oil. Repeat until no more blossoms can fit in the fryer.
- When the bottoms of the blossoms are crispy when tapped, flip them. You can use two forks to flip. Cook until both sides are crispy and golden.
Transfer the Fried Zucchini Flowers
- Remove the fried zucchini blossoms with a slotted spoon or strainer. Transfer them to a plate lined with absorbent towels. Batter and fry the rest of the blossoms.2 pinches fine salt
- Salt to taste and serve!