Simply the best ragu you’ll ever taste! This Ragu Bolognese Sauce recipe is the traditional recipe that originated in Bologna, Italy. It is used in many beloved Italian dishes such as a Tagliatelle Bolognese, as a sauce for polenta. And of course, it’s a prime ingredient in the Sunday classic: Bolognese Lasagna.
Ragù Bolognese has a rich, velvety taste. The ground meat (beef) is slowly simmered in red wine, tomato and whole milk. The whole milk helps to counteract any acidity coming from the tomato and wine. However, to further reduce acidity, choose a quality red wine (like Chianti) that is good enough to drink and a tomato product with low acidity.
Watch the Video Recipe!
If you prefer to watch a video recipe, click on the video below.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
More video recipes? Subscribe to our YouTube Channel (it’s FREE) and click the bell to get notifications when we release a new video recipe!
In Italian? Ragù alla Bolognese Ricetta Originale
About Ragu Bolognese Sauce
This classic Italian Ragu Bolognese is a ready-to-use sauce that freezes wonderfully. It’s definitely considered one of the best Italian pasta sauce recipes, and is popular throughout Italy.
Do I need to add the milk?
Yes! Milk is included in the original recipe as a way to counteract any acidity coming from the tomatoes or wine.
Is this the right ragu sauce for Spaghetti Bolognese?
While not traditionally served over spaghetti in Italy today, feel free to use this sauce to make Spaghetti Bolognese! Otherwise, enjoy it with tagliatelle pasta as is more commonly done in Italy!
How to Make Ragu Bolognese Sauce: Tips
Choose tomato products that say ‘San Marzano.’
Look for tomato sauce products that say they are made with ‘San Marzano’ tomatoes. These tomatoes are world-renowned for their taste.
Make double batches!
This Ragu Bolognese is a ready-to-use sauce that freezes wonderfully. It may take awhile to prepare, but once ready it can make many quick and delicious meals.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no extra cost to you, PIATTO may earn a small commission if you click the links and make a qualifying purchase.
Discover More Italian Food Recipes
Authentic Ragu Bolognese Sauce Recipe
- 1 ¼ lb ground beef
- .6 lb pancetta finely chopped
- 1 carrot
- 3 ribs celery
- 1 onion medium
- 21 oz tomato puree
- 1 cup red wine chianti
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup beef broth as needed during simmer (or water)
- fine salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 7 tbsp butter
Make the Sauce
- Finely chop the pork belly/pancetta. Mince the onion, carrot and celery..6 lb pancetta, 3 ribs celery, 1 onion, 1 carrot
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan or skillet.7 tbsp butter
- Sauté the vegetables until tender and translucent.
- Make a well in the center of the vegetables. Add the pancetta and cook until no longer red.
- Make a well and add the ground beef. Cook until no longer red.1 ¼ lb ground beef
- Slowly add the red wine a little at a time. Let the wine reduce and continue adding slowly until all of the wine has been added.1 cup red wine
- Add the tomato puree. Stir. Cover and simmer on low heat for 2 hours.21 oz tomato puree
- After two hours, slowly add the whole milk over the course of an hour. Simmer over medium-low heat and stir frequently. Salt and pepper to taste!2 cups whole milk, 1 cup beef broth, fine salt, black pepper
- Buon appetito!