Rich and decadent! Four cheese pasta sauce can be made with a variety of cheeses, but this combination is particularly satisfying: creamy gorgonzola ‘dolce’ (sweet gorgonzola), taleggio cheese, fontina cheese and gruyere cheese. Best of all? You can whip it up in minutes.
Four cheese pasta sauce can also be enjoyed with a variety of pasta, however rigatoni and penne (or pennette) are preferred in Italy because the sauce can ‘hug’ the pasta both inside and out. This four cheese pasta sauce recipe is also a delicious sauce for gnocchi (Four Cheese Gnocchi recipe).
Watch the Video Recipe!
If you prefer to watch a video recipe, click on the video below.
More video recipes?
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel (it’s FREE) and click the bell to get notifications when we release a new video recipe!
About Four Cheese Pasta Sauce
This Four Cheese Pasta Sauce features several fine Italian cheeses.
Gorgonzola ‘Dolce’ Cheese (Sweet Gorgonzola)
Called gorgonzola dolce in Italian (meaning sweet), is a buttery soft cheese with blue veins. Sweet gorgonzola is milder and less aged than its drier counterpart.
Don’t like gorgonzola? Choose another soft cheese with a strong flavor that you enjoy.
Taleggio cheese is a semisoft cheese that melts well. It has a fruity, tangy flavor. It’s been popular in Italy since ancient times!
Fontina cheese is a slightly harder semisoft cheese with an earthy nutty flavor. It’s a great cheese for melting.
Gruyère cheese is a type of swiss cheese which melts really well. It also has an earthy, nutty taste.
How to Make Four Cheese Pasta Sauce: Tips
Honestly, this is an extremely easy dish that will wow any cheese lover out there. Simply warm the milk and cream in a sauce pan. Add the diced cheese and stir until the cheese melts. Combine with the pasta of your choice and serve!
Sauce will thicken on the plate!
The finished sauce will continue to thicken on the plate as it cools, so keep that in mind when determining how much to thicken the sauce in the pan.
Discover More Cheesy Italian Food Recipes
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no extra cost to you, PIATTO may earn a small commission if you click the links and make a qualifying purchase.
Four Cheese Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 5 oz gorgonzola cheese dolce or sweet
- 3 ½ oz taleggio cheese
- 3 ½ oz fontina cheese
- 3 ½ oz gruyere cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- black pepper to taste; freshly ground
- coarse salt to salt pasta water
- 11 oz penne pasta or rigatoni
Make the Sauce
- Warm the whole milk and heavy whipping cream in a medium-sized pan over medium-low heat.½ cup whole milk, ½ cup heavy cream
- Add the diced cheeses to the milk and cream.5 oz gorgonzola cheese, 3 ½ oz taleggio cheese, 3 ½ oz gruyere cheese, 3 ½ oz fontina cheese
- Melt the cheeses in the cream and milk over low heat. Stir continuously to avoid burning the cheese. Alternatively, you can melt all ingredients in a bowl over a pan of simmering water (the double-broiler method). Melt until the sauce is creamy and free of lumps.
Finish with Pasta
- Cook the penne pasta to ‘al dente’ in boiling water according to package instructions.11 oz penne pasta
- Add the cooked, drained pasta and a ladle of the pasta water to the four cheese sauce.
- Reduce the the sauce with the penne over very low heat for about 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. Add salt and black pepper to taste.coarse salt, black pepper