Cheesy, decadent and delicious! Four cheese gnocchi is so popular in Italy that baked and unbaked versions are considered entirely different dishes—an acknowledgement of the way finishing a dish al forno (baked) changes the flavor of a dish. This four cheese gnocchi recipe includes sweet italian gorgonzola, taleggio cheese, fontina cheese and gruyére cheese.
About Four Cheese Gnocchi
Watch the Video Recipe!
If you prefer to watch a video recipe, click on the video below.
More video recipes?
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel (it’s FREE) and click the bell to get notifications when we release a new video recipe!
This Four Cheese Gnocchi recipe features several fine Italian cheeses. It’s extremely easy to make and can be whipped up in minutes. Simply warm the milk and cream in a sauce pan. Add the diced cheese and stir until melted into a creamy, delicious sauce. Combine with the cooked gnocchi and serve!
To make another classic Italian dish, transfer the saucy gnocchi to a baking pan. Top with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Finish on grill to brown the top! This becomes a new dish: Gnocchi al Forno!
Gorgonzola ‘Dolce’ Cheese (Sweet Gorgonzola)
Called gorgonzola dolce in Italian (meaning sweet), is a buttery soft cheese with blue veins. Sweet gorgonzola is milder and less aged than its drier counterpart.
Don’t like gorgonzola? Choose another soft cheese with a strong flavor that you enjoy.
Taleggio cheese is a semisoft cheese that melts well. It has a fruity, tangy flavor. It’s been popular in Italy since ancient times!
Fontina cheese is a slightly harder semisoft cheese with an earthy nutty flavor. It’s a great cheese for melting.
Gruyère cheese is a type of swiss cheese which melts really well. It also has an earthy, nutty taste.
How to Make Four Cheese Gnocchi: Tips
Honestly, this is an extremely easy dish that will wow any cheese lover out there. Simply warm the milk and cream in a sauce pan. Add the diced cheese and stir until the cheese melts. Combine with the cooked gnocchi and serve!
Sauce will thicken on the plate.
The finished sauce will continue to thicken on the plate as it cools, so keep that in mind when determining how much to thicken the sauce in the pan.
Fresh gnocchi is always tastier!
In this recipe, we assume here you are buying gnocchi. However, there’s nothing better than making four cheese gnocchi with fresh potato gnocchi made at home from scratch. Check out our recipe for fresh, homemade gnocchi.
Try it al forno (baked in the oven).
Try this dish baked to enjoy four cheese gnocchi al forno. Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano and bake in a pre-heated 475° F (250° C) oven for about 20 minutes. Finish on broil to brown the top.
Discover More Cheesy Italian Food Recipes
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This means at no extra cost to you, PIATTO may earn a small commission if you click the links and make a qualifying purchase.
Four Cheese Gnocchi Recipe
- 5 oz gorgonzola cheese dolce or sweet
- 3 ½ oz taleggio cheese
- 3 ½ oz fontina cheese
- 3 ½ oz gruyere cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- black pepper freshly ground; to taste
- coarse salt to salt pasta water
- 2.2 lb potato gnocchi
Make the Sauce
- Warm the whole milk and heavy cream in a medium-sized pan over medium-low heat.½ cup whole milk, ½ cup heavy cream
- Add the diced cheeses to the milk and cream.5 oz gorgonzola cheese, 3 ½ oz taleggio cheese, 3 ½ oz fontina cheese, 3 ½ oz gruyere cheese
- Melt the cheeses in the cream and milk over low heat. Stir continuously to avoid burning the cheese. Alternatively, you can melt all ingredients in a bowl over a pan of simmering water (the double-broiler method). Melt until the sauce is creamy and free of lumps.
Finish with Gnocchi
- Cook the gnocchi in boiling water according to package instructions. Add the cooked, drained gnocchi to the sauce with a ladle of pasta water.2.2 lb potato gnocchi
- Reduce the sauce with the gnocchi over very low heat for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Add salt and black pepper to taste.black pepper, coarse salt
Bake in the Oven (optional)
- To make this gnocchi al forno bake immediately or the next day. Transfer the gnocchi and sauce to an oven-save dish. Sprinkle liberally with Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Bake in a pre-heated 475° F (250° C) oven for about 20 minutes. Finish on broil to brown the top.